When the Miraculous Becomes the Common
I feel like just a few years ago, every good work God did among the Mahafaly was a miracle worth celebration, praise, and a blog post! I was so excited at every answer to prayer, every decision made, and every victory. I was like a child, experiencing every story with excitement, praise and amazement.
As God has continued to work in increasingly larger than life ways over the past few years I have often become calloused to the excitement of seeing God do the miraculous. In this way, I feel like I can relate so much more to the failure of the Israelites to stay amazed with the God who parted the Red Sea before their eyes. We always think, "oh...if God only performed miracles the way He did in the Old Testament, surely we would all fall on our faces before Him!" But the truth is, God does the miraculous every day. And unfortunately, those who are blessed to see it often become complacent. I definitely felt the realization of this after Grant's most recent bush trip.
| Casey, Jamey, and Steve |
Grant's last trip to Mahafaly land was a really important trip for several reasons. One being, that our former missionary colleague, Steve, returned for a short ministry trip among the Mahafaly. He was joined by Casey (a pastor who has worked with us over the years) and Jamey, a brother from Steve's church. I can't tell you how special it was for us to have Steve back and show him how God has been working among the people whom he loves so much.
Another important part of this trip was a funeral for a prominent person in Kilimary, home to one of our first generation Mahafaly churches. Seven brothers accepted Christ as savior seven years ago, and began a journey that would not only transform their lives, their own villages, but thousands of lives throughout Mahafaly land. When these brothers' mother passed away (who was also a believer), they decided to hold a Christian funeral for her - a huge statement of faith among these animistic people, whose burial ceremonies are steeped in ancestral worship. Thousands of people, from all over the surrounding region, came to attend this funeral and bare witness to the faith of these men. Hundreds in attendance had already been transformed by the testimony of these men, but many were unbelievers. The influence of these men and their fearless proclamation of Christ as savior has been one of the most amazing things to behold!
| The Mother's Casket |
During the burial, the family and friends traveled over two hours away from the village to the family burial site. There, they would lay their mother's body to rest. They would not perform the traditional sacrifice and blood sprinkling at the grave. Before they left for the trek out there, their uncle told them he would be remaining behind. This uncle, who is the traditional priest (performs the ritual of blood sacrifice of animals for atonement) of the town, has continued to reject Christ year after year, despite the many attempts and pleas of his devoted nephews. Upon returning from the burial, the brothers found that their uncle had died. For the many unbelievers who believed the village would be punished for not offering a blood sacrifice to the ancestors during the funeral, this death would be testimony of God's favor and protection. For, had the ancestors been angry, would not the brothers have been stricken down instead?
After this two day funeral, Grant and the guys (the team and our national partners) visited a friend in the nearby village of Besatra. This friend and co-laborer in Christ, asked for a ride to town to visit a child who had become very ill. Malaria related deaths have been spreading throughout the region, and it was feared this boy would also be lost to this grave illness. Grant asked if they could come along and pray for the boy and his family.
| The Boy and His Mother |
![]() |
| The Charms |
Grant called me throughout the trip with story after story of God's work among the Mahafaly. While I was interested and excited to hear what God was doing, it wasn't until the team returned that I realized how complacent I had become in being a witness to God's power. Listening to the team share the same stories, but through the fresh eyes of someone who was seeing the ministry anew from an outside perspective, reminded me of how amazing what God is doing really is. May I never be like the Israelites who were never fully satisfied with or grateful for God's awesome works! May I always be in awe and full of praise!

Comments
Dear Elijah,
We are learning about Missionaries and you are in our missions book.
My name is Owen. I'm 10. I'm going into the fifth grade and am homeschooled.
I've played baseball and am going to play soccer this year. My favorite board game is called "The Farming Game".
My family has 2 guinea pigs and 5 chickens. My chicken's name is Chicken-saurus Rex.
My favorite foods are Spaghetti and Pizza.
I'll be praying for you and your family.
Owen