Women's Conference

A few weeks ago, Erin and I went to visit my friends, Bebe Melina and Bebe Noro.  I always look forward to spending time with these two precious ladies, both elderly widows who faithfully love and serve the Lord.  As we sat in a circle in Bebe Melina's small hut, with my feet hovering above the ground so the rats wouldn't scurry across them (!), we prayed together and I shared some verses from the Bible to encourage them.

We told the ladies that we would be leaving to attend a women's conference that weekend, and explained how we would spend the time worshipping, fellowshipping, and studying the Bible with missionary women from all over Africa.  The ladies were excited for us, and Bebe Noro got on her knees and prayed for our travel and time at the meeting.  Then Bebe Melina told us she wanted to share some scripture to encourage us.  She pulled out her Bible and began flipping through the pages.  Bebe Melina has such an incredible heart for the Word of God and for learning His story despite not being able to read.  So, we watched as she flipped through her Bible upside down.  She came to a page that was folded over and had a passage marked.  She passed me the Bible and asked me to read it.  The scripture passage was Matthew 5:1-12, the Beatitudes.  After I read the scripture, Erin leaned over and whispered, "Why did she want you to read that?" and I whispered back, "I have no idea..."  So we smiled and nodded, and then headed home.

A few days later we were off to our women's conference in Johannesburg.  The first day we were there, the guest speaker opened up the Bible and began reading the passage we would be studying out of for the week.  And would you believe it was the exact same verses?  Over the next week we studied about finding "Joy in the Journey."  It was a great time to reflect on our lives, work, and relationships.  And after our time with Bebe Melina, you better believe that I was listening!  : )

Our time in South Africa was very precious - as its the first big trip I have made without the littles.  Grant did a great job taking care of the kids and house while I was gone, allowing me to fully enjoy the trip.  What a great time of refreshment!

Our first try at the airport...

Our second try (our first flight was overbooked)

Made it to South Africa, which of course means a trip to McDonalds!!!

Michelle and I hunt down the new Pizza Hut in Johannesburg...

Just Amazing.  Seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Jude!!!

Addition - Multiplication