Southbridge Aug 2014 Pt 2
Here is the latest update from JD, one of the Southbridge team members. We are so encouraged by the continued relationships he builds with the law students here in Tulear!
Loved Ones:
I want to update you on our time with the law students. First, I want to praise God for His providence, power and grace. I am amazed that a University law school would open its doors and classrooms to me, a relatively unknown commodity. Yes, I have addressed the law students now on four trips. But, one would need some major credentials and an invitation to be welcomed into a US law school to address students in like manner. This is a testament to God's providential power. He is the Grantor of all favor and Builder of relationships.
Through Chris, Grant and Jodie's valued friend and national partner, a graduate of the law school, we were invited to meet with law students once again. We met Friday morning with thirty-five students for three hours. Two professors were in attendance as well. This is a good group for a Friday morning, during the exam period, with little notice. I have spoken to over 300 students on a previous trip, but thirty to forty is an average for the other meetings.
I am thankful for Chris as a believer, a fellow lawyer and a friend. He also speaks four or five languages fluently. He translated for me during my time with the students, moving effortlessly between English, French, official Malagasy and southern dialect, incorporating difficult legal concepts. It was very impressive.
This isn't a set class with a subject. It is more of a question and answer discussion focusing on whatever the students want to talk about. One student asked me, "What can you share with us that will help us?" I am sure I never satisfied his curiosity as near the end of our discussion he asked me again, "I want to reiterate, what can you share with us that will be helpful." I guess he told me what he thought of my answers to the students' questions. Ha!!
The students asked me about US property law, extraction of natural resources and federal regulation, gay marriage, separation of powers, the interplay of federal, state and local authority, insurance issues, criminal procedure, US aid to African nations, foreign investment in Madagascar, and the guarantees in the US Constitution, including free speech, freedom of religion, and the right to bear arms. The students compared and contrasted the Malagasy and US systems of law and government. I learned a lot from them.
At the end of our time I was able to share my grace story, the story of how Jesus has saved me and changed my life, with the students. I felt His strength as I shared. I saw wide eyes, open mouths, and tear-stained faces as I concluded with the Gospel message. I challenged the students with Jesus's message and asked them how they are going to respond.
As we finished, the students came up to me to shake my hand and thank me. Several students thanked me for sharing my faith so clearly. They told me they are followers of Jesus and were encouraged. One young man told me he plans to run for election as a regional officer. He told me he was very shy about his faith and was afraid to share about Jesus. He said he is now encouraged to share his faith and convinced he can take Jesus with him to his elected position. This is a BIG deal culturally here. One student shared with me that he now wants to lead a student organization for believers. Another student shared with me that his father is an alcoholic and not a believer. He is sad because this has ripped his family apart and he wants to share his faith in Jesus with his father. My story of my father's alcoholism and miraculous healing by God encouraged him. The student told my he now has faith to believe his father will be healed and his family restored. Powerful!!
Please pray for these students: for encouragement for believers and for the Holy Spirit to stir in the hearts of those who do not yet believe so that they will believe.
Chris told me afterwards that the students responded very well to my discussion of faith. He said in his opinion this was very important for the students to hear, and quite encouraging to them. I agree. I am praying for radical heart changes in these students and action in and with the Gospel for and by them.
Ephesians 3:20 (ESV) Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
Grace and peace,
JDH
Loved Ones:
I want to update you on our time with the law students. First, I want to praise God for His providence, power and grace. I am amazed that a University law school would open its doors and classrooms to me, a relatively unknown commodity. Yes, I have addressed the law students now on four trips. But, one would need some major credentials and an invitation to be welcomed into a US law school to address students in like manner. This is a testament to God's providential power. He is the Grantor of all favor and Builder of relationships.
Through Chris, Grant and Jodie's valued friend and national partner, a graduate of the law school, we were invited to meet with law students once again. We met Friday morning with thirty-five students for three hours. Two professors were in attendance as well. This is a good group for a Friday morning, during the exam period, with little notice. I have spoken to over 300 students on a previous trip, but thirty to forty is an average for the other meetings.
I am thankful for Chris as a believer, a fellow lawyer and a friend. He also speaks four or five languages fluently. He translated for me during my time with the students, moving effortlessly between English, French, official Malagasy and southern dialect, incorporating difficult legal concepts. It was very impressive.
This isn't a set class with a subject. It is more of a question and answer discussion focusing on whatever the students want to talk about. One student asked me, "What can you share with us that will help us?" I am sure I never satisfied his curiosity as near the end of our discussion he asked me again, "I want to reiterate, what can you share with us that will be helpful." I guess he told me what he thought of my answers to the students' questions. Ha!!
The students asked me about US property law, extraction of natural resources and federal regulation, gay marriage, separation of powers, the interplay of federal, state and local authority, insurance issues, criminal procedure, US aid to African nations, foreign investment in Madagascar, and the guarantees in the US Constitution, including free speech, freedom of religion, and the right to bear arms. The students compared and contrasted the Malagasy and US systems of law and government. I learned a lot from them.
At the end of our time I was able to share my grace story, the story of how Jesus has saved me and changed my life, with the students. I felt His strength as I shared. I saw wide eyes, open mouths, and tear-stained faces as I concluded with the Gospel message. I challenged the students with Jesus's message and asked them how they are going to respond.
As we finished, the students came up to me to shake my hand and thank me. Several students thanked me for sharing my faith so clearly. They told me they are followers of Jesus and were encouraged. One young man told me he plans to run for election as a regional officer. He told me he was very shy about his faith and was afraid to share about Jesus. He said he is now encouraged to share his faith and convinced he can take Jesus with him to his elected position. This is a BIG deal culturally here. One student shared with me that he now wants to lead a student organization for believers. Another student shared with me that his father is an alcoholic and not a believer. He is sad because this has ripped his family apart and he wants to share his faith in Jesus with his father. My story of my father's alcoholism and miraculous healing by God encouraged him. The student told my he now has faith to believe his father will be healed and his family restored. Powerful!!
Please pray for these students: for encouragement for believers and for the Holy Spirit to stir in the hearts of those who do not yet believe so that they will believe.
Chris told me afterwards that the students responded very well to my discussion of faith. He said in his opinion this was very important for the students to hear, and quite encouraging to them. I agree. I am praying for radical heart changes in these students and action in and with the Gospel for and by them.
Ephesians 3:20 (ESV) Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
Grace and peace,
JDH
Comments