First Grade!



Well, we survived our first week of first grade!  This may not seem like a big deal to many, but for me this is pretty huge.  Aside from the difficulties of learning how to be a homeschool mom, I am also learning how to teach while balancing a fussy 9 month old and a boisterous 2 year old.  If that isn't enough, take Grant out of the picture and stick him out in the bush for the week.  What you end up with is a girl who is pretty proud of surviving that first week!  Now...if we could only get from surviving to thriving! : )  The question is how to balance all three kiddos in a way that I can still keep my sanity, but still be giving them all that they need (emotionally, physically, educationally, etc).  If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!!



Despite all the challenges that inevitably go with this season of life, I have to admit that we had a pretty good week.  The boys were troopers, and I am really getting a grasp of the curriculum I am using.  For all of those who are into homeschool curriculum, this is what we are using this year:

*  ABeka core 1st Grade (reading, writing, phonics, arithmetic, poetry)
*  Apologia Science (astronomy, with junior journal)
*  Classical Conversations (rote memory for all subjects, art, music, Latin)
*  Veritas Press - History and Bible

So far, Eli's favorite subject is handwriting.  He loves learning how to write in cursive (and he is doing a great job)!  I have really enjoyed teaching more in depth from his memory work from Classical Conversations.  During his first week, he has learned locations in the Fertile Crescent such as the Tigris and Euphrates rivers and the Mediterranean Sea.  He also studied many of the ancient civilizations such as the Sumerians and Minoans.  I should say "we", as I am pretty sure that I learned more than Eli...

Meanwhile, Titus and Jude have had a successful learning week as well.  Jude is on the verge of crawling.  He has learned how to get up on all fours and lunge forward a few inches.  I am expecting him to start crawling any day now.  Titus, well - he has learned how to decorate his body and bedroom with the insides of his diaper.  Lovely.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Jude!!!

Addition - Multiplication