Independence Day - American Style

The 4th of July is absolutely one of my favorite days of the year.  American pride has been ingrained in me as long as I can remember.  Both of my grandfathers were in the military, my dad was an officer in the Army, my oldest brother an officer in the Coast Guard, and my other brother enlisted in the Army and my husband in the Navy.  Aside from being a missionary, I have known no other life other than serving our country.  Its hard to explain what military life is like...moving all over the world, growing up in DOD schools, waking up to the early sounds of cadence calls or the rumble of fighter jets overhead.  I can't explain what its like to have your dad read you the "Night Before Christmas" a week early because he is being deployed, or to stand in a gymnasium with hundreds of wives, children, and family members, holding signs and cheering as the daddies come home.  While I can't explain that feeling, I can tell you that on our Independence Day I am overflowing with pride.  

So, I like to make a big deal on the 4th.  This year we had an all day party that involved lots of fun and food.  We teamed up for some patriotic trivia, attempted to put the Declaration of Independence in order, failed at drawing the US MAP in sidewalk chalk, played waterballoon volleyball, had a ball toss, and watched some patriotic movies.  Oh! And of course sang lots of Lee Greenwood - God Bless the USA!

4th of July Trivia

Water balloon Volleyball

So much fun!! - Definitely a new favorite!

Lots of GREAT food and friends

Ball Toss Competition

Three adorable BFFs

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these girls!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Jude!!!

Addition - Multiplication