Home Sweet Home!






We spent the next morning in Besatra. Grant saved this village for last because it is his favorite, and I could feel once we entered the village that it would become my favorite as well. The people were very friendly and happy to see us - but seemed laid back at the same time. Eli was shy, but he let one of the ladies hold him. The village was fill of baby animals - goats and puppies! We played with the animals for a while and I learned some Mahafaly words. Grant was taken into the house of the dead man, and was asked to take a picture of the corpse. They invited him to the funeral which will take place in December. They said they want to resolve his murder before burying him. He was shot by the “dahalo” (cattle theives). He was 70 years old and ran out to protect the cattle against 6 dahalo…and was shot. They are planning a trip to “resolve” the issue - but at least they will take the military with them.

The ladies showed me how to weave mats. The town (village) is known for the material they use - “satra” from the satra tree. That is why their town is named BeSATRA. I felt comfortable with the lady as she guided my hands in weaving. I was slow to learn, but she was patient.

Before leaving, they too offered us a chicken and some balahazo (their staple food-it’s a root). We have been so blessed to be received by these people. I can’t wait to get to know them more! They were mostly excited to see Eli. They brought out their babies to see him, but their children (the littlest ones) were terrified. They screamed in sheer terror. They screamed so loud, Eli started crying! We all laughed at their reactions. I hope Eli will grow accustomed to the village children and enjoy his time among the people as he grows.

Now we are home, safe and sound. I am excited to crawl into our clean sheets -without fearing a cockroach attack!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey guys! Absolutely love reading your blog. It's like I am right there with you, fighting off cockroaches in the hotel. Love it!! So thankful for the doors that the Lord has opened for you in the villages, but also for the fellowship of Believers around you there. Love and prayers,
Misty

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Jude!!!

Addition - Multiplication