Chief Zulu's Wife


This morning we had a "tea party" for the district commissioner's wife "Amai Temba" and the chief's wife "Amai Ruth Zulu." There are 9 District Commissioners in Zambia and they are presidentially appointed. Chief Zulu is over about (?) 700 villages. Both roles are VERY important and as wives to these men- they also have an important role.

As the ladies entered we stood, but did not extend our hands. They sat at the front and were officially introduced. We each then introduced ourselves, where we were going to serve, if we were married, and how many kids we have. We sang songs to them- Amazing Grace and This is the Day. The DC's wife spoke to us about her role and gave words of encouragement as a Christian. She seemed to be a strong woman of faith and very intelligent. We were warned of Chief Zulus wife's shyness and so I was not shocked when she barely spoke a word. We had tea and cookies, the children read a book, and we presented them each with gifts (2 wraps each- which they did not open there). As we left we greeted with hands as we do in church.

It was a formal time, but we enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately, I was unable to learn much from Amai Zulu, but I know I have learned much about hosting people in positions such as these.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Jude!!!

Addition - Multiplication