An Overview of the Month

On the 23rd of December we were blessed to to receive our crates. It was an amazing Christmas present. We were so excited to see all of our things. It felt like home. Surprisingly enough NOTHING had broken- not even a scratch. The only things that didn't survive the day were victims of our careless unpacking. Not only did the arrival provide for a great Christmas present but it also kept us so busy on Christmas that we didn't have time to feel homesick or sorry for ourselves. Our friends, Michael and Michelle, came over to our house on Christmas Eve. We made pizza, as is the Waller Christmas Eve tradition. Only this time it took about 3 hours due to a miscalculation in cooking from scratch and a blown out pilot light in the oven that went undiscovered for about an hour! Eli was sweet and enjoyed opening his presents from us and grandparents. On Christmas morning he came downstairs to find tons of toys under the Christmas tree. His reaction was priceless. He was so excited he was shaking and all he could do was point. He couldn't even move he was in such shock! All of his old, forgotten toys from the crate reappeared under the tree. He didn't know the difference!

A few days later we headed for South Africa, but not after experiencing some Malagasy heartbreak on Christmas day. On our way home from brunch with Michael and Michelle a lady chased our car to a stop. She held out her son and showed us a large wound that smelled awful. It looked almost as though he had a disease that caused his organs to grow on the outside of his body. The lady begged for money to go to the capital so he could have surgery. Grant gave her the requested money (about ten dollars) and we prayed with her. I am not sure what the money was really used for. Although I hope it was used to help the child, I know that it is more likely that is was used for other purposes. The longer we are here the more stories of fraud we hear. Stories just like the one we were encountered with. It is such a struggle in our hearts to know what to do. We want to share and be Christ to the people-but in a country renown for its begging how can we best do that?

South Africa was great. We had a wonderful time getting to know all of the missionaries in our region. It was a great time of spiritual renewal and prayer. We were able to shop, go to the movies, eat at restaurants, shower standing up, brush our teeth with tap water, and stock up on TONS of cheese. One of the best parts was going to the Lion and Rhino park! We were able to get SO close to so many of Africa's most amazing creatures. We were also able to play with baby tigers, white and brown lions, baby leopards, and a full grown cheetah. We couldn't have had more fun!

We are currently in our second week of school. It is nothing like I expected. Our classroom is small and cozy. It is about the size of a bedroom set up with four small wooden desks and one large desk in the corner for the teacher, Madam Lalao. The floors are made of wood and the walls are concrete with a thin layer of yellow paint. Our desks face a wall with an old, large chalkboard. The room does not have AC or heating. While mornings feel cool, the rising sun heats the room (and the students inside!). Many flies have made their homes in our classroom and cause much amusement for the guys.

Madam Lalao is kind and confident. She is an amazing teacher and very patient. The first 3 hours of each day is spent learning grammar and new vocabulary. The fourth hour is spent with her son, Andry, who unfortunately was not figted with his mother's sweet disposition and patience! He drills us without mercy over and over on the things we have learned from his mother. He seems to have it out for Grant! : )

Despite the long days we are learning so much more than we could ever have imagined. We will continually pray that God gives us a renewed fervor to learn the Malagasy language.

One of my biggest fears in coming here has turned into one of my greatest joys. For the last two weeks Eli has been in the care of a Malagasy lady. She is a young, sweet Christian girl who loves the Lord. She attends one of the Independent Baptist churches and faithfully attends their Bible school. She speaks no English, which has turned out to be a blessing. I look forward each day to practicing my new words with her. She is patient and kind and each day I grow to like her more. She is great with Eli and I pray that we will develop a great friendship.

All is going well here, except for my growing fear of being robbed. A few days ago my next door neighbor was at home when he was robbed. I am not sure if anyone was hurt, but I do know that they were tied up. Last night I was so paranoid I couldn't eat or sleep. I know that God is in control and He will protect this family but I had a hard time getting the image of Eli being kidnapped out of my mind. I know that these dangers are real and will be an issue as long as we are here. I will NOT let Satan use fear as a stronghold in my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Jude!!!

Addition - Multiplication