Village Homestay
Wow! The toughest and most rewarding part of our adventure is over. We were able to spend the last three days living with a Zambian family out in a village (Grant, me and Eli). I don't know what I was most fearful about. I guess I had some expectations, but fear of the unknown was probably what got to me the most. Friday morning we were dropped off at Henry and Daisy's home. It was so beautiful and surreal. They live in a medium sized (2 small rooms) hut. Across from them ws the hut we stayed in. The hut had three little windows, which Daisy had made some curtains doileys for. It was about 8X10 inside. They had kept it up beautifully and I couldn't have been more overjoyed to see how clean it was. There were lots of little huts (too small for people) as well. The chickens lived in one, the goats in another, and they even had a hut on stilts for doves! They also had a small structure for maize. They had a bathroom- which although it was a squatty potty it was cemented and very clean. Cleaner than most American bathrooms! They also had a structure made out of sticks where you could use a bucket and bathe.
All of this overlooked one of their fields. It was beautiful and quiet. I knew from the beginning that it would be a peaceful weekend. Eli took to the place immdediately. He loved all of the farm animals and spent most of the weekend chasing chickens, goats, cows, dogs, and doves. When he wasn't chasing animals he was being entertained by the Zambian children who came and visited us. He made lots of new friends!
Grant and I spent the weekend overwhelmed by how hard and how much the African's work. I have never seen someone work so hard. We couldn't keep up and the harder we tried the more incompentent we felt and the more in the way we got! African women are AMAZING! Daisy worked 10 times harder than any of the men. When cooking over the fire she would sitck her bare hands in and turn the coals. Nothing phased her or slowed her down and she NEVER stopped. I was exhausted watching her go from one job to the next. She hauled water, chopped down trees, built fires, killed chickens, scrubbed everything, and not once looked like complaining. I wanted to cry watching her!
Henry and Daisy had 6 children, but only one is left. Henry is the pastor at a church about an hour away. When we walked there Sunday morning I felt so guilty for all of the times I found it difficult to get to church. The walk was long and hot any my feet blistered. When we finally got to church I couldn't enjoy it because I was so exhausted and knew that we still had to walk back. The 7KM walk back was just as painful as the way there and I couldn't believe people would do this on their day off. We returned to more work and plowing in the fields. How selfless these people are and what love they must have for God. I don't konw if I would be able to live a life honoring God the way they do!
One of the highlights of the weekend was working in the field each day. We were blessed to have cool mornings this weekend. Well, maybe not cool- like 90 instead of 110~! What great memories I will have of planting seeds next to Grant while Eli played with the Zambian children on the otherside of the field.
Henry and Daisy were so kind and patient with us. I hope to be able to mantain a relationship with them. My time with them was nothing as I expected, but much more than I could have hoped for. They gave all they had to us and we can never repay them. They will always be in our hearts.
Comments